Many people choose to fix the electrical problems by themselves before consulting an electrician. They prefer doing the electrical work instead, such as replacing electrical wirings, changing of LED light or fan fitting to save money. There are instances wherein some have a successful DIY repair, although some individuals carry out the job in an incorrect manner and the reason behind this is that they do not have enough experience which can result in more serious damages. There are quite a lot of issues of power-tripping in Singapore and since it is becoming common, people then learn to solve the electrical issue by themselves. It is important to be cautious when performing electrical wiring replacement and other electrical services or it is better to seek help from a professional electrician, to prevent electrical problems such as short circuits or power failure.
We have provided some instructions for people who choose to do electrical wiring by themselves.
- An electrical wire has three colors which are black, white, and red. The red and black wires are where the electrical current is. While the white-colored wire is the neutral one. Ensure that all wires are functioning well and avoid connecting them. If the 3 wires are connected caused by miswiring, you may experience short circuits or shocks.
- Many people without enough experience will try stripping the wire to get connections. Although this is a great risk and may result in fires and electric jolts. Therefore, do not try this without seeking the help of an approved electrician.
- Tangled wires need to be rewired. Ensure that the wires are accurately connected with the port if you are rewiring. Incorrect positioning of wires can lead to starting a fire.
- Electrical boxes are vital to secure you from electrical sparks or flame, and arranging the boxes will guarantee your protection, which can avoid further harm. It is important not to saturate the boxes as it may result in overloading and can cause fires.
- Exposed plastic cables are prone to develop damages easily. Ensure that all plastic cables are covered below the walls. Covered plastic cables can help you save money and time rather than rewiring broken cables. There’s a high risk of accidents when you leave exposed cables. Therefore, the cables must be correctly fixed when installing electrical wirings.
- Remember to only use 1 electrical wire to the switch and if you are putting several wires, use a nut by pigtail that is attached to the screw of the appliance.
You can follow these guidelines to help you in DIY electrical wiring to prevent electrical issues such as short circuits, electrical overload, and fires.
Fixing or replacing your electrical wiring can put you at great risk if you do not follow the proper guidelines. To prevent dangerous hazards, we provided instructions on how to safely install the electrical wirings if you chose to do it by yourself. Although, if you are still hesitant about DIY wiring repair and replacement, call Everyworks Singapore. We have reliable electricians who have many years of experience in conducting electrical work. To learn more about our servicing costs, check our price list.
At Everyworks Singapore, we strive to provide the best home maintenance services for Singaporeans. As such, we ensure fast appointment arrangements, immediate customer response, and highly fair and affordable costs for any services which you might need. Our extremely professional and experienced electricians, plumbers, aircon servicing technicians, and handymen also make sure that our clients’ repairs and installations are done thoroughly and quickly as seen on our many positive Facebook reviews and Google reviews. To learn more about our home services, feel free to view our past home maintenance articles and works. For quick appointment booking, contact our responsive customer support team either by sending a picture or quick text through our Whatsapp at +65 8241 0032.
This article was reproduced from Daylight Electrician Singapore.